Major & Countertrend Trendlines

Welcome! Forums Forex Breakthrough Academy Forum Major & Countertrend Trendlines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sue Schlaiffer
    Participant

Another challenging exercise for me, but I managed in the end to draw some trendlines on three different charts.

AUD/JPY
    After this was initially a buyers market on May 11th, it rapidly changed to a sellers market on 12th May at 23:00 pm. I noted a slight support signal on 27th May when the market was at the same level as on the 19th. However, the market did not recover again and a downtrend began to spiral.
    AUD/USD
    The 11th May saw the start of an uptrend in the markets, but this soon changed as a downtrend sellers market began the following day.  Although there were a couple of weak levels of support the market continued on a downtrend which was great for sellers.
    EUR/GBP
    The 8th of May saw an all time high which was not set to last as the markets seemed to show small areas of support and resistance, but the overall picture was one of downtrend as the month drew to a close.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich FittonRich Fitton
    Keymaster

Hi Susan,

Good stuff, I can see you’re getting the principles in place here. Have you tried applying them to the daily chart? Remember that’s where you’ll pick up those more widely observed features to use as profit targets. You’ll often find the trendlines are easier to work with on the dailies – there’s less ‘choppy’ price action than on the 60min charts.

John Murphy
    Participant

I’ve taken a chart of GBPJPY and plotted two major trendlines and two counter trend although I’m not sure about the second one. It does help to reinforce the major trendline as it crosses and as the main trend is up it seems to be good point to trade from. I see that major lines should be okay, the counters are a bit more subjective so I’ll need spend some time looking more closely at that.

Attachments:
    Rich FittonRich Fitton
    Keymaster

Hi John, major trendline looks great, don’t worry about forcing the countertrend lines. The ones that will be most widely observed are ones with clear ‘connecting points’. If it’s a bit of a struggle to find a good place to draw one it probably wouldn’t be as effective anyway so don’t worry about that.

Wayne Jones
    Participant

Hi Again!

I have attached two efforts.  The first being on the AUDJPY.  I could only find the trend line for this one.  I have also entered the MOR.  As you can see this was in an up trend, I could not really find two high points.  In retrospect maybe the last high point and the next pull-back may have been a suitable place but maybe not as the pull-back isn’t really a high point at that stage.

The other chart is from the AUDNZD.  I have taken two months worth of MOR as I think it’s good to start practicing that now.  I have also found the trend line which was a big up move.  I have also attempted to plot two counter trend lines.  Any feedback from Rich or any of the new group would be much appreciated.

For counter trend lines am I right in thinking we have to wait days if not weeks before one may develop?

Regards

Wayne

Attachments:
    Rich FittonRich Fitton
    Keymaster

Hi Wayne,

Perfect major trendline on AUDJPY. And you could slot in a provisional countertrend line as you suggest. Remember with those its a case of finding prominent points that the wider market is likely to be seeing too. If you’re struggling to find solid connecting points it means there probably isn’t a usable countertrend placement available (and that’s fine, you don’t always see clear countertrend lines like you have already noticed)

On AUDNZD I’ve relocated the major trendline and arrowed the second connecting point. You’d need to wait for a breakout to new highs before using the original connecting point you had if place – remember you want to look for the low points before the most recent high.

Good to see you starting to pull the pieces together by including the MORs too 🙂

Attachments:
    John Thurlbeck
    Participant

Hi Rich and all,
    Major and countertrend lines observed and marked up on GBPUSD daily chart.

Attachments:
    Rich FittonRich Fitton
    Keymaster

Hi John, looking great 🙂

Jonathan Marland
    Participant

Hi Rich,

Can you please look at the attached GBPUSD daily chart?   it looks too simplistic….. !?

Regards

Jonathan

Attachments:
    Rich FittonRich Fitton
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan, simple is good 🙂

Looking great, one small thing – you could maybe move that latest downtrend line to begin on the high of the red candlestick so no price action is intersected.

Jonathan Marland
    Participant

Hi Rich,

We have been using the daily chart to draw in the Trend lines, but when we get into the smaller timeframes the trend lines are not the same.  Am I missing something here? If trading the 15 min chart the trend lines will not be in the right place. Do we have to redraw?

Jonathan

Rich FittonRich Fitton
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

You’re better to plot your lines on the daily chart, make a note of the price where price action would intersect your line on the approaching trading day, and then represent that price on your 15min chart as a horizontal line (there’s a walkthrough of how to do it in the trendlines video). It avoids having MT4 re-paint the trendlines lines due to changes in scaling when changing from the daily to the 15min chart.

Dave Gregson
    Participant

Hi Rich

I have attached a chart of EURGBP with a major trend line and couple of counter trend line’s.

Please take a look I think it is correct.

apart from i have done it on the hourly instead of the daily.

have attached another chart for GBPUSD on the daily.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments:
    John Murphy
    Participant

David,

I have a similar buy trendline on a chart of mine. If you compress the timeline you will also see a down trendline starting in July 2014. I noticed that Rich does go back a fair amount of time to see where major trendlines are developing so I’d recommend you have a look at that as well

Attachments:
    Dave Gregson
    Participant

Thanks john will do

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.